Thursday, December 5, 2013

Week Ten: Encouragement Letters

So...

You know that my son and daughter-in-law are missionaries. They have been in Uganda for two years now. During their Year One furlough, they shared that they didn't feel loved or cared for!

Of course, if you are 1000's of miles (or even 100's of miles) away from home, it is more difficult to experience love and care from those back home, but God gave me an idea that I would like to share with you on today's call that has power--over time--to help people feel loved and cared for...

Be encouraged,

Becky

3 comments:

  1. Becky, I am sorry to have missed the call yesterday and a chance to say, “Happy Birthday”. I trust your day brought you as many blessings as it did the years you celebrated!
    Thank you for recording the calls. Without them I would not have been able to catch up and complete the commitment I made this year. Your life is so full and yet you take the time for us every week whether there are many or none on the call and record your lessons, giving us the encouragement we need. I for one really needed it to continue this writing venture. And the call today not only touched my heart but reminded me how I used to reach out more and need to do so again.
    I wanted to share with you the long distance needs that came up this last month. My daughter-in-law was offered a new position that started December 2nd and they needed help with caring for my 5 month old grandson. That was easy because I had offered my help whenever she decided to go back to work. My trip from Pennsylvania to California was booked on December 1st to the 18th. Then…my mother called on November 17th to let me know my sister fell and broke her ankle the night before. My husband’s first response was, “So, when are you leaving?”. I left on the 19th for California; two weeks earlier than planned. Instantly, there were both urgent and long distance needs I could meet and I was on my way to do just that. After helping my sister before and after surgery I was able to move on to my original plan. (That is the short version of a long story!)
    Being away from home for a month means someone else must step up and take care of my daily responsibilities. They may not see it at the time but they, too, have found a need to fill and are willing to do it. It’s much easier for me to be the need filler and not the one in need. This trip not only put me in a position to help but also to accept help and relinquish the control of my home…and I have. (Well…maybe I long distance monitor a little :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this is HUGE. Thank you for sharing this message Becky. It was confirmed by a similare message that I read in one of my emails. I have already sent encouragement email #1 to my boys in college whole are taking finals all this week.
    Thank you so much - You always inspire me to action!

    ReplyDelete