Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Week One: You Don't Have To Look Very Far

Dear Friends...

The greatest part of being in a small group is growing to know each other. Over the quarters and years, we have journeyed together--raising children, gaining new skills, reaching out, being poured out, and experiencing loss.

As we close the year-long series, "Make a Real Difference and Watch Yourself Change," we tackle the final challenge of "Find a Need and Fill It."

Recently, Pastor Rick Warren of Saddleback Church, after experiencing the loss of his son, shared a similar message. He made it SO SIMPLE. You don't have to get a degree in helping people. You only need to look as far as the closes 4 people in your life who need something--financial support, furniture, a car ride, a meal, a prayer group, an invite to church, a note card of encouragement...

Who are the first 4 people who come to your mind who need something that you have?

That is your assignment this week. Find the immediate need of 4 people in your life and fill it before next Thursday (our new call day) at noon PST and report back on our blog!

Be encouraged,

Becky


5 comments:

  1. My 33 year old son with an autistic disorder has needs every day. It’s easy to fill them when it comes to the “big” stuff, but….the things like calling me 5 to 20 times a day? That is when I have to remember that no matter how frustrated I may get, it’s still a need to be filled and I will “…do it as unto the Lord”.
    My daughter needed financial help with her power bill. After listening to the call, I felt compelled to fill that need and did.
    My grandson has come to live with us and is going to school. He needed a place to live, someone to help him get started with life after high school and a positive influence on his life. Meeting his daily needs change sometimes, but for the most part he just needs our support and he is very needy of my attention. Yes, I will fill that need.
    Our friend in England lost her mother last week and a card expressing our sympathy and prayers was sent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Oklahoma and flew home on Saturday. My cousin told me she only had $40. For groceries, so I gave her the money I had in my wallet as I was leaving. I gave an autographed copy of Renee Swope book, A Confident Heart to my co-worker. I was given my transfer at work so we will not be cubicle buddies any long at the end of this month and I wanted her to know how much she means to me. While in Oklahoma, I bought a very simple cross braclet, one of the nurses admired it, her birthday is tomorrow. I will be leaving this hospital and I was thinking about how to tell her as she is a special nurse and I just felt I should give her the braclet and tell her later. She gave me the biggest hug. I loved the braclet but I felt compelled to give it to her. Blessings. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. can I just how much you each inspire me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana & Debi, thanks for sharing your heart with us. Love the idea of seeing a need and filling it, being open to living life through God's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, I am inspired! Sorry I am checking in late...was out of town a lot this past week. We visited our son in Dallas this past weekend at school and he was in need of many things, so we took him shopping and gave him peptalks about school and his future employment and summer opportunities. Yesterday, I delivered chicken soup to my friend (who is not a believer and has many fears) she was really sick and already today she is feeling much better. My daughter was home sick from school so, I gave her soup as well and took care of her yesterday. Last night, I had 25 people here for potluck dinner, worship and teaching (pastorates-we have them twice a month) - I love having my church family here and the word is preached, we pray and have dinner together. It is a huge blessing for me. Today, our Moms in Prayer group needed leading so I led, which is always a huge blessing for me. Becky, you have fired me up! I am loving the 21 day challege too! God is soooo good! And, the new teaching from Chip Ingram on "Break-Through" has really motivated me as well. That is our word for this fall....

    ReplyDelete